Often we don’t have to reinvent the wheel to learn something new – we can just ask experts in the field who can draw on their experience to enlighten us. Below, we’ve shared insights insiders from various industries have shared with us.

Clayton Jones | Singer/Songwriter

One thing I’ve seen that most people outside of the music industry are unaware of, is that you don’t have to be a household name or have a record deal to make a full-time living doing music. I can’t count the number of times that I’ve been asked by people, “So, what else do you do?”, or “What’s your day job?”, in which I kindly respond, “I actually make my full-time living doing music.” Read more>>

Brandi Cooper | Family and Branding Photographer

Photography is a big industry. We all own some sort of camera. If you are lucky enough to get a professional or semi-professional camera… you will assume that it is easy to just take pictures. Well, I am here to tell you, it is not that simple. A lot of things happen behind the scenes to gain some success in this industry and the 2 biggest things are community and quality education. Your peers become your co-workers and you need someone to talk to and grow with. Education is probably THE biggest because it takes investment. Just owning a camera and photoshop isn’t enough. You will need to learn a little bit about business, editing, shooting, and everything in between. Read more>>

Laie Holloway | Photographer & Graphic Artist

Outsiders are unware of all the stuff behind the scenes we go through to create our art. All the failures and rejections that we’ve endured to get that one shot. The frustration and sadness and anger. Outsiders just see the finished product and think it’s easily done. Read more>>

Haley Choate | Photographer & Owner

How much work goes into a photography business! Did you know: In the 1st year, 60% of photographers give up their business. Of that remaining 40%, another 25% will fail within the 2nd year. – Dane Sanders Not only is running a small business hard but when you throw in the purchase of equipment (camera, Pc, lighting, bag, props), editing software, gallery & website programs, & not to miss marketing materials. It costs a lot to start up & build a solid business. Read more>>

Elizabeth Berg | Owner of Oak and Sparrow Boutique

Only 2% of garment workers are actually paid a living wage. I’ve been in the fashion industry for 20 years, and had no clue until I watched a documentary entitled The True Cost outlying the harrowing damage that is being done to both our earth and the people in it. I was flabbergasted that I was so unaware and had been a consumer of fast fashion for so many years, contributing to the problem. As we know, with knowledge comes both power and great responsibility. I was now accountable to this knowledge. Read more>>

Dr. Melanie Thomas | Orthopedic and Sports Physical Therapist

There are a variety of specializations within the Physical Therapy profession. I have colleagues who specialize in Women’s Health, Pediatrics, Neurology, and Cardiopulmonary, just to name a few. I chose to specialize in Sports and Orthopedic related injuries. So, for example, if you tear your ACL in a basketball game, fracture your ankle in a football game, or tear a ligament in your elbow during the last pitch in an inning, you come to see me, and I help get you back in the game. In the Physical Therapy community, we often refer to ourselves as the experts of movement dysfunction. We are perfectionists, who are committed to helping improve your quality of life and getting you back to the things you love to do. Read more>>