We had the good fortune of connecting with Jahshawun Youmans and we’ve shared our conversation below.
Hi Jahshawun, we’d love to hear more about your end-goal, professionally.
1. My family is full of entrepreneurs so I feel as if owning my own business is in my blood. I’ve also had a good bit of jobs like landscaping, working at a restaurant, retail etc, and it never sat right with me working for someone else for the rest of my life. I always wanted to be my own boss. I wasn’t really into college my major which was psychology at the time and it also wasn’t something I absolutely loved, and I knew that if I wanted to be a psychologist I would have to eventually work for someone else.
2. I use the term “save more than you spend” meaning if I know that i’m about to spend some money I make sure that I can make it back. I wouldn’t say I have a exact budget because I don’t like to do a lot of things that requires me to spend a lot of money. Not saying that im a cheap person I just rather stay at home and work on my craft.
3. Risk taking has played a MAJOR role in my life. I always tell people to take risks when they ask me for advice. I heard a saying once that said “you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take” and that stuck with me forever. Majority of the successful people I ever have gotten advice from always say take risks.
4. I’m from Sparta,Ga a very small town but I moved to Eatonton, Ga in the 3rd grade. Both are small country towns where everybody knows each other. The support from them were amazing they really help me gain confidence once I realized how much they really supported me. I hosted several pop up shops and both cities came out and supported me I used to sell out within minutes of setting up. Not too many people are famous, on tv, or have something that’s known across the world where i’m from so to be the creator of something that’s becoming worldwide is amazing. I thank God for it everyday.
5. The most important factor would be my consistency and my dedication to help change the world. The whole reason behind why I started The WEiRDO Collection is based on how I looked at growing up. I used to wear mix match shoes and crazy socks to school not caring if it matched only because I wanted to stand out. Upon doing that people started calling me “weird” or a “weirdo” it made me feel kinda bad at first but I embraced it and kept doing it, next thing I knew it became a trend at school to wear different shoes or crazy sock. Once I saw that other people started to unknowingly embrace their weirdness I knew that one day I could do something big to help people willingly embrace it.
6. Staying true to yourself and having a “why”. If you can’t depend on yourself you can’t expect anyone else to. This is a key factor in business because I wouldn’t ship my customer anything I wouldn’t want anyone to ship to me. And if you lie to yourself you won’t be honest with others which can also be a major problem not only in business but in life as well. Lastly, having a “why” meaning everyday I wake up one of the first things I think about is why I do what i’m doing. My first thoughts usually consist of me help changing the world, my family being financially set for generations to come, changing the connotation of the word “weird” or “weirdo” from a bad meaning to a good one etc. All of those are my “why” the reason I keep going every single day.
7. At first my balance wasn’t how I really wanted it to be because I was in college. I took a semester off from college to pursue mr business 100% and haven’t looked back since. Now I have my own office that I handle all of my business from 7 days a week. I don’t like calling what I do “work” because I love it so much but I have learned to manage it better over the years and understand that it is ok to take a break from it every so often.
8. To ultimately change the negative connotation the word “weird” has and to help let people know that it’s okay to be YOU and to embrace whatever you heart desires for you to do in life. By the end of my career I honestly want to be one of the people who has help shift the generation into being themselves.
Alright, so for those in our community who might not be familiar with your business, can you tell us more?
Not only do I have a clothing business I have a vending machine business, e-course classes and a men cosmetic line coming next year. I live by never settling and always providing worth to peoples lives.
Shoutout is all about shouting out others who you feel deserve additional recognition and exposure. Who would you like to shoutout?
First off I want to that GOD! Thanks to all my customers, supports, family and everyone who has been with me and believed in me from the beginning. Special Shoutout to my girlfriend, my mother and my grandmother for keeping me grounded throughout my whole entrepreneur journey.
Instagram: @jahdavinci @theweirdocollection