We had the good fortune of connecting with Kiana Ybarra and we’ve shared our conversation below.
Hi Kiana, can you walk us through the thought-process of starting your business?
I knew I wanted to start a business that I can pursue full time while also being a full time mom. I have always loved and admired Mom shirts, I always thought they were cute and catchy. But I have never seen any based around Latin culture. With the Latin sayings we use for our families. This is what drove me to start my own brand, I wanted to create a brand that not only represented the Latin culture but everyone at the same time.
Alright, so let’s move onto what keeps you busy professionally?
I am very proud to be a Latina owned business. Also a business that shows Latin culture in a creative way through graphic t-shirts. The work I do may seem so simple, but there is a lot of thought and creative thinking that goes behind it. I truly think about the shirts and the people who it may represent. When someone wears our shirt they are representing what that shirt says and what it says of the brand. I went through months of testing different shirt qualities to find the best fitting and the most comfortable shirt out there to ensure that the customers who purchases the t-shirt will reach for it more times than not because of the graphic, fit and feel of the shirt. I honestly wouldn’t be here today if it wasn’t for my kids. Since becoming a mother in 2019 and going back to work after having my second child, I knew I needed to think of a business to start so I can become a stay at home mom. My kids were the push I needed to start my own business. The biggest lesson I’ve learned is you just got to take a chance on your dreams, you won’t know the outcome unless you try!
Any places to eat or things to do that you can share with our readers? If they have a friend visiting town, what are some spots they could take them to?
MONDAY (Following friends arrival into town airport, etc.)
– Grab some quick food near the airport at Mico’s Chicken
– Morning: Buffalo Bayou Trail for a walk with the babies
– Afternoon: Grab a smoothie from Juiceland on Kirby Dr.
– Evening: Taco night on the patio
– Morning: Virtual Training session with Ken from Horizon Houston Fitness and Nutrition
_ Afternoon: Baking vegan cookies (my house has many food allergies)
– Evening: Downtown Scooter Tour
– Morning: Home cooked buffet style breakfast
– Afternoon: Spa and lunch for Mom and Steph in River Oaks at Houstonian Trellis Spa followed by lunch at Korny Vibes
– Evening: Truth Barbecue with live sports on the TV’s
– Morning: Shopping trip at the Galleria (i.e. The Container Store)
– Afternoon: Kid-friendly soccer field for some afternoon fun
– Evening: Top Golf for a little competition
Who else deserves some credit and recognition?
I truly want to shoutout my boyfriend Kennedy Jones and Souki Fournier. Without Kennedy’s support, love, encouragement & believing in me I don’t think I would of went all in launching the business. Him believing in me and the business means so much and gives me so much confidence in what I do. Souki got me in touch with the best photographer and mentored me on what’s the best steps to do to launch a successful business. Without her guidance I am unsure what I would have do or where I would be right now. I don’t think she knows how much those few sessions talking about business impacted me.
Hannah Mulik Photo